Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 3.

28 MAY 2012
0050

I'm going to regret writing this right now in the morning, but I figured I might as well write for the last ten minutes and turn off the laptop at 0100.

Today was a GREAT day! I slept in for the most part. Unfortunately, maid service decided to intrude in my room at 0830 and woke me up, but it was best I got going on my morning. Today's uniform was PCA (proper civilian attire). I went to breakfast with Samantha before we had to muster at 1040. Breakfast was decent, nothing to write home about, but I can't complain.

At 1040 we mustered in our usual Bravo spot before walking across the bridge to the wet side to see 21 Jump street. It's free on base so the entire theater was filled up with 500 MIDN. I highly recommend the movie, it was hilarious! Everyone got a good laugh and thoroughly enjoyed the morning. It finished at 1300, so we headed back to dry side. Liberty started at 1300 as well, so majority of the MIDN's took off, however I had watch from 1400-1600 so I grabbed a snack and changed into my NWU's before having to relieve the sentry before me.

Watch is basically just an assigned naval personnel in charge of patrolling the grounds and making sure no shenanigans take place. I was assigned to roving duty with one other boy named Seth. Our first round I took the top 4 floor and he the bottom 4 floors, however we realized how boring it was alone, so we decided to walk together and chat while making sure the hallways were safe. Apparently there was a break in during the patrol right before ours, so we were making sure no doors were left ajar without someone being in the room.

I personally find it sad that there was a break in at a MILITARY ONLY hotel. It's sad to hear that a MIDN or enlisted sailor would stoop to that level. Apparently the room was obviously gone through with stuff thrown everywhere and items missing. Shame on that sailor.

Anyway, chatting with Seth kept things interesting and made time pass faster. The watch bill was organized into companies taking the weekends in order. Alpha/Bravo this weekend, Charlie/Delta next and so on. In a way, I'm glad I had it today to get my shift out of the way. I HOPE I don't have it again!

Once I returned to my room at 1600, Colleen and I went to Fashion Valley mall. We spent about 2 hours in Forever 21 and I returned with 3 shirts, 1 skirt, and 1 pair of PCA sandals. I needed some clothes to go out "downtown" in and I found them! Hopefully next weekend we hit an 18+ club with some friends. Colleen found some cute shorts and a few tops as well. We're both really excited about our new sandals because constantly wearing our Sperry's is getting kind of annoying.

We had planned to spend the evening at the mall, however one of the boys from the University of Florida that I befriended, Christian, invited us to tag along with him and his friends to the Gaslamp District. They were going out to dinner at Dick's Last Resort, so during our starving shopping spree, we decided to head back to base, take quick showers, and take the trolley into downtown. I wore my new tank top and sandals and Colleen wore her new sandals as well!

Dick's was entertaining. The food...decent... and service mediocre if even, but the time with my friends was worth it. It turned out to be a group of 10 at our table, however we ran into 2 other tables of large parties of MIDN's. The dinner was pricey, but oh well. I guess I paid for the memories as well. It's great to have that instant bond with someone when you don't even know, simply over the fact that you both are on CORTRAMID together. It's awesome.

After Dick's we walked to Ghirardelli's for ice cream. I got a scoop of rocky road with hot fudge. mmm! I then found myself to be hanging out with Christian and 3 other guys, so we decided to walk around Fifth st. until returning to the trolley station. By that time, I was pretty tired so I visited with some friends in the lobby for a while before returning to my room.

I really enjoyed today, but I know I'm getting spoiled with the fun first. I know the fun ALWAYS tastes better when you put in the work for it, but it's also nice just being here with everyone, relaxing, going out.. Like tomorrow is Memorial Day and we're going to the San Diego Zoo. Crazy, right?

I'm looking forward to spending the day at the zoo tomorrow with my friends :)







No comments:

Post a Comment