Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 5. Marine Week.


02 JUNE 2012
0930

The idea of the first day of Marine week is so intimidating. I had no idea what to expect or how I was going to handle another week of what I thought was going to be like Freshmen Orientation. I was excited for it, (I love adventures! Especially the ones with the accomplishing feeling at the end of them.) but really nervous too. Upperclassmen were telling me it sucked, others that it was their favorite so I had no idea what to think of it. I knew I was going in with an open mind though, so I was ready for whatever they had planned.

Colleen and I packed the night before, when I say night before, I mean we were still up to 2300 not finished packing. Muster was at 0630, but we didn't actually leave 32nd St. until about 0720. They separated the boys into 1st and 2nd platoon and the 3rd platoon was all females. Total there was 25 females. While on the bus, we read out knowledge (which is just a little book they pass out with information they want you to memorize), but since the ride is approximately an hour, the majority of us took advantage of the time and slept. When we first arrived it was high intensity! They're yelling and having us, MOVE MOVE MOVE. It was ridiculously hot outside, which I was happy about, but knew wouldn't be very fun when being in the direct sun later that afternoon. Plus, I was wishing it would be that sunny and warm in San Diego.

We were issued packs full of gear, but had to do inventory to make sure we had everything. That's when they just yell at you to have something magically appear in your hands within like 10 seconds. In reality, you're digging around in the pack PRAYING that what you need will just magically show up. Never happens. After we had all our gear out and organized we signed off for it. Meaning, if by the end of the week we had lost it, we'd be paying for it. We were also issued "hydration systems" which were a military issued knock off of a camel back. They're super cool and we wore them everywhere. Hydration is constant.

We then went outside for a bagged lunch which I was stoked about since I hadn't eaten breakfast and was absolutely starving. It was a sandwich and had a bunch of yummy snacks in it. I was happy. Within our 3 platoons we then marched over to the O-course. There we had a long PT day. Each platoon went to a different station. Females started out on the O-course, we then rotated to the pugle stick battles, and on to the team-building PT. At the O-course, we were split in 2 teams and had a "who can finish first" competition. I volunteered to be 1st squad leader (which in the end, ending up loving the billet) but since I'd also ran the O-course numerous times before at MCRD, I volunteered to run it first. I love the O-course (obstacle course)! I think it's super fun.

After everyone had their turn, we pugle stick fought. I had done this at Sea Trials so I wasn't afraid, but I got picked to fight first. The girl was tiny, but fought really well and in the end it was deemed a tie. Everyone had the chance to fight and one girl got hit in the eye (even though we wear head protection) she was out for the rest of the day.

The team building PT was rough. Lots of sprints, ammo can lifts, ammo can squats, fireman carry's, sit ups. But of course, my squad, 1st squad finished first! Everyone cheers for each other and that's something I really love so I enjoyed this section and got a ridiculously good workout in too.

After a long sweaty day of PT, I had a farmers tan and smelled pretty bad. We PT'd in boots and utes, so everyone was pretty smelly. It was something we'd all soon get used to though. We got back into the squad bay (the barracks where we sleep) around 1600 and made our racks. Rack making isn't hard, just gotta know how to make clean hospital corners.

We went to evening chow, which was absolutely horrible. But after a long day, you just stuff your face regardless. We ate where the recruits ate, and for some reason chow halls always think recruits can't eat well. I only went through  2 nights at that chow hall, can't imagine 13 weeks of it.

After chow, we went over some fire and maneuver formations. These would later benefit us when we spent the day in the field on Thursday. (My favorite day!) I had (and still have) some crazy bruises from the chicken winging on the O-course and my knees are super tore up from the week in general. I knew I wasn't going to feel good in the morning.

We got our day packs out and packed for Wednesday, which consisted of 2 canteens, eye pro, ear pro (protection), black gloves, sunscreen and an MRE. As a squad leader, I was constantly giving out sunscreen to  my 5 girls. I didn't get sunburnt and neither did anyone in my squad. However, they were some girls that were RIDICULOUSLY burnt and the guys were peeling all over the place.

For those who don't know what a squad leader is, (like my mom), a squad leader is just a position where you're in charge of a small squad of people. We report to the platoon sergeant who is in charge of the entire platoon.

For a rough first day, we were treated to 1.5 hours of hygiene and square away time. Never in my wildest dreams did I think this would ever happen. At Freshman Orientation I was given 30 seconds to shower! Bad memories....

Girls have to shower together (same with the guys), but we broke the shower time into 15 minutes for each squad so we had plenty of room in the shower. At 2030 we had a hygiene inspection and talked with our Gunnery Sergeant. His name was GySgt Khanthasa and he was AWESOME! There was only some minor bruises and blisters, nothing major to report to him though.

Lights out were at 2100 and I had a super hard time falling asleep. I was tired from the day, but just hate falling asleep in such an unfamiliar place. Actually, I'm just not good at falling asleep in general. It was freezing too, and I didn't want to sleep under the covers because I didn't want to have to remake my rack in the morning. I attempted to sleep under my bath towel, but it was still damp and didn't help at all. At some point in the night I gave up and climbed under the covers.

I devised the fire watch schedule for the nights, which is in easy words, who has to stay up at which hour to patrol the squad bay and make sure there are no intruders. I did it alphabetically for connivence. Unfortunately, myself and Colleen were given the 0300-0400 which is the worst shift ever, but at least I got some sleep in before 0300. I ended up making my rack during my fire watch and reviewed my knowledge.

Overall, Marine week started out hitting the ground running, but there was no yelling, no busting my butt like I thought I would be. I wasn't scared for the upcoming days, nor was I dreading them. I was actually having fun and the fact that I'd be shooting guns the next day filled me with excitement :)























No comments:

Post a Comment