Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 8. Marine Week.

02 JUNE 2012
1928


At 0500 we woke up, tore down our tents (once again, first ones to have our tent tore down!) packed up all our gear, and had a warrior breakfast. The Marines strongly push the warrior spirit and I thought that was really cool. It was a good breakfast (can you tell it's my favorite meal of the day yet?) and we visited with a few Marine officers. Super cool guys who were very informative. One was a financial officer, the other a pilot, and the other an intelligence officer. 

After the warrior breakfast, we headed back to the squad bay, cleaned it one last time, inventoried our gear, grabbed our sea bags and left for home. I absolutely couldn't wait to wash my face and brush my teeth. I love not having to wear makeup, but not getting to wash my face after spending a long sweaty day in the sun with dust and dirt caking to my face is rough. 

Overall, I absolutely loved Marine week. Spending the day in the field was so cool. Shooting the weapons was even cooler (when else in my life will I get to launch 2 mortars?!), but the camaraderie is the best. There's nothing I love more than surrounding myself with people who love the same badass stuff that I do. 

I know my heart belongs to the Navy, but Marine week was so motivating. I learned about FET's and they completely put me in awe. The FET is the US Marine Female Engagement Team. They are over in Afghanistan fighting along side the infantry men. From an article I researched regarding the FET, "they complement the coalition counterinsurgency strategy by reaching out to Afghan communities in a culturally sensitive way. They help amplify the voice of Afghan women." They spend just as much time and hardwork in the Afghan villages, but contribute in different ways. When the men go in to take a house and must put the women and children in a separate room, the FET goes in and searches the them. They're Marines, but they bring a comforting feeling along with them. They're over there making a direct impact and I can't even describe how highly I think of these women. Here's a video I found that explains about the FET. CLICK HERE to learn about the FET! These women are so admirable, I wish I could sit down and talk to one of them.

My favorite parts of Marine week were definitely getting to shoot all the weapons. Shooting stuff is always awesome! But I really enjoyed being in the field as well. I experienced a tiny taste of what Marines go through, but I truly feel like I left with a better understanding of what the MAGTAF is all about. I loved that they motivated us with the warrior spirit and matched us with Marines who got back from Afghanistan so recently. Listening to their stories is so motivating.

My least favorite parts of Marine week were probably not getting to shoot the .50 cal and M240. I understand the fire was out of their control, but it was still a bummer. Also, it was no where on the intensity level that I thought it would be. I definitely think the intensity should be revved up a notch (or even two)!

For the most part, I thought it was very well organized. The order of events/POD ran very smoothly, however I hated inventorying our packs 5/6 times. Each time a different person would walk in and want to make sure that our packs had been correctly inventoried. Then we'd pack it up with our required items and another person would walk in demanded to make sure all the required items were packed. As an industrial and systems engineering major, I couldn't help but examine the week and all it's MUDA and want to go in and fix it all... (Muda is a Japanese word that stands for an activity that is wasteful and doesn't add value or is unproductive.)

Overall, here are a few things I learned from the week:
1. No matter how broken in you think you're boots are, they're still going to KILL your feet.
2. Earn respect as a person, not just because of your rank.
3. DON'T COMPLAIN.
4. Volunteer to be a squad leader or a platoon sergeant. The week is more fun when you challenge yourself and step up to the plate to show some leadership.
5. If you duct tape your feet, you won't get blisters.
6. Everyone smells. You will smell. Embrace it.
7. Ask questions. Take every chance you get to volunteer to go first or for a new learning activity.
8. The MAGTAF does some seriously badass stuff!
8. Don't forget: a flashlight, baby wipes, a camera, a watch, hand sanitizer, and your serious face.


Remember, you are your strongest critic. Evaluate yourself, find your weakness, and annihilate it. Always seek self improvement and prepare yourself for the future.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie. I'm an applicant for an NROTC Marine Option Scholarship. Thanks for this awesome blog that you've put up. Really gave me a first hand account on what Cortramid Marines do after their freshmen year. Right now I'm waiting on words if I got the scholarship or not during the early board. So nervous! Good luck in your aspiration as a Marine! Shout out!

    - Penn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bonnie. This was very insightful for me as a parent of NROTC freshman female who's going to Cortramid in a week and a half.

    ReplyDelete